Definition of Terms Used on this Website
care – the services rendered by members of the health professions for the benefit of the patient.
coach – The International Coach Federation (ICF) states the coach’s responsibility is to:
- Discover, clarify, and align with what the client wants to achieve
- Encourage client self-discovery
- Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies
- Hold the client responsible and accountableCoaching is:
Works towards outcomes.
Does not give advice.
Asks the question “How can we change?”
The client has the answers – assisted to find their own solutions.
Backtracking – using client language and tone to recap important words or phrases.
conservative treatment – of the patient designed to avoid radical medical therapeutic measures or operative procedures.
empirical treatment – by means that are based on what is experienced or seen rather than on theory.
expectant treatment – of the patient directed toward relief of untoward symptoms of patient, leaving the cure of the disease to natural forces.
preventive treatment – is a measure taken to maintain health and prevent the spread of disease.
- the management and care of a patient; (see also care). As acupuncturists & Chinese herbalists we treat the patient – not ‘a disease’.
- the combating of a disease or disorder. Acupuncturists treat patients instead of combating of a disease.
HOFH practitioners provide care and management of the patient in the form of empirical, preventive, expectant and conservative treatment – meaning: the treatment provided to each patient is designed to avoid radical medical therapeutic measures or operative procedures, has proved to be beneficial from experience, is aimed at maintaining health, preventing the spread of disease, and leaves the healing of the disease to natural forces.